Tnpsc Tamil Current Affairs 14th October 2016
International Standards – Creating confidence globally
Standards level the playing field
Standards Build Trust
Standards – the world’s common language
எஸ் ஜி சித்தராமையா
1. Portugal’s ex-Prime Minister, Antonio Guterres has been officially appointed as the 9th UN secretary-general by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA). For this, the 193 member states of the UNGA adopted a resolution by acclamation to appoint Guterres. He will become the world’s top diplomat on 1st January 2017 when Ban Ki-moon’s second five-year term ends on December 31, 2016.
2. Maneka Gandhi, the Union Minister of Women and Child Development, has launched the 2016 Women of India Festival at Dilli Haat in New Delhi. The 10-day festival will offer the biggest selection of organic products prepared by women. The festival promotes women entrepreneurs from across India, which is organized and sponsored by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development. This year’s festival will have 230 stalls and about 372 participants. The list includes producers from Delhi, NCR and 23 states and Union Territories.
3. The World Standards Day (WSD) is observed every year on October 14 to pay tribute to the collaborative efforts of the thousands of experts worldwide that develop the voluntary technical agreements that are published as international standards. The 2016 theme is “Standards Build Trust”.
4. The National Seismic Programme (NSP) has been launched by Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan in Odisha to trace hydrocarbon resources like oil and natural gas in Mahanadi basin.The purpose of NSP is to undertake a fresh appraisal in all sedimentary basins across India, especially where no or scanty data is available, for a better understanding of the hydrocarbon potential.The programme was launched at Taranga village under Soro block in Balasore district. Under this programme, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Oil India Limited (OIL) have been entrusted to conduct 2D seismic Acquisition, Processing and Interpretation (API) across India. The survey project will be completed by March 2019.
5. Shahlyla Ahmadzai Baluch (21), one of the finest strikers for Pakistan women’s football team, has recently died in a car accident in Karachi. Ahmadzai represented Pakistan at the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Women Football Championship 2014 in Islamabad, which was the last international event that Pakistan women’s team competed in. She also had the honour of being the first Pakistani woman footballer to get a hat-trick abroad when she played for a club in Maldives in 2015.
6. Former Minister Veeranna has been selected for the Sri Maharshi Valimiki Jayanti Award for the year 2016-17, which is instituted by the Karnataka government. The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 5 lakh and a citation, which will be presented to Veeranna by Chief Minister Siddaramaiah at Banquet Hall of the Vidhana Soudha on October 15, 2016. Veeranna hails from Koratagere in Tumakuru district and served as the Minister in the Janata Party government headed by late Chief Minister Ramakrishna Hegde. Due to his efforts, many communities such as Nayak, Nayaka, Beda, Bedar and Valmiki have been included in the Scheduled Tribe community.
7. Gurumoorthy Mahalingam has been appointed as Whole-Time Member (WTM) of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for a period of 5 years or till he attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier. Apart from the Chairman, the SEBI can have 3 WTMs. He succeeded Prashant Saran, who retired as WTM in 2016. Mahalingam is Executive Director and former regional director of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
8. Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank, the former Uttarakhand chief minister, has been conferred with the prestigious award by the Ugandan Prime Minister Ruhakana Rugunda for promoting human values through his literature. Currently, Nishank is the Member of Parliament (BJP) in 16th Lok Sabha from Haridwar Constituency of Uttarakhand.
9. Satish Pathak, a Pune-based innovator, has been awarded for ‘Excellence in Technical Innovation’ by the International Society of Automation (ISA). He got the award for his innovation “Digital Controlled Valve for Precise Liquid Dispensing by Gravity flow”, which has the capacity of saving for the industry and is a step change technology in industrial valves. ISA is a non-profit technical society for engineers, technicians, business people, educators and students.
10. India is hosting the 8th BRICS Summit, followed by first-ever BRICS-BIMSTEC Outreach Summit in Goa on October 15, 2016. India is facilitating an outreach Summit with BIMSTEC leaders of Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Thailand, which will strengthen India’s bilateral relations with its partners.