We would like to discuss on correct voice, fill in the blanks (Infinitive, Gerund & Participle), Find out the error and find out the odd words. Hope you all, following our article for your preparation and better understanding.
Select the correct voice
There are two types of voice. One is active voice and another one is Passive voice.
In active voice, the subject is not active it suffers or receives some action.
Example for AV:
- Who did this?
- You surprise me
- Rama helps Hari
- We refused them admission
- Post this letter
Example for Passive Voice:
- By whom was this done?
- I am surprised
- Hari is helped by Rama
- Admission was refused to them by us
- Let this letter be posted.
Active Voice to Passive Voice
- Subject of AV should be written as the agent.
- Object of AV should be changed into subject
- Verb – Past participle form
- Tense should not be changed.
- Pick out the sentence which is in active voice.
- He is loved by all
- The field is ploughed
- The Thief was caught
- The man cut down the tree
- Select the sentence which is passive voice
- Sita was loved by Rama
- Rama loves Sita
- Sita is loved by Rama
- Sita loving Rama
- The field was over grown with grass
Rewrite the above line into Active Voice
- Grass grow over the field
- The field was grown by grass
- Grass was over grown in the field
- Over grown grass in the field.
Fill in the blanks: ( Infinitive, Gerund & Participle)
Before getting into questionnaire section, first know “What is infinitive”.
Infinitive is a Verbal Noun.
- He ‘refused’ to study the lesson.
Here infinitive is “To Study”.
To + (Verb/Noun) is Infinitive.
- I haven’t anything to wear.
- It is good to talk.
- I had too many books to carry
- He wants to learn.
- The three bear went into the forest to find firewood.
What is Gerund?
The Verb which ends with –ing which has the force of a noun and a verb.
- He is fond of driving.
- Hunting tigers is dangerous.
- Flying makes me nervous.
- She is good at painting.
- There’s no point in waiting.
What is Participle?
Participle is a combine word of verb + Adjective. The Participle either ends in –ing or –ed. Two types are present participle and past participle.
Present Participle ends: -ing
Past Participle ends in –ed,-en, -d, -t, -n or –ne
Example: asked, eaten, saved, dealt, seen and gone.
- The crying baby had a wet diaper.
- Shaken, he walked away from the wreck.
- The burning log fell off the fire.
- I went there _______ the situation
- To examine b) personally to c) out of d) to
Answer: A. Because infinitive suits more.
- Mani noticed her cousin _______ along the shoreline. Find the correct Gerund.
- Walked b) walking c) walk d) walk out
Answer: B. Because gerund fits in the blank.
- ___________a gymnast, Raja knew the importance of exercise.
- Having been b) has been c) have been d) had been
Answer: A. It is present participle
Spot the errors
You need to spot the grammatical errors in the given line. It is simple, but need to be very careful while answering.
Read the sentence to find out whether there is any error. If there is any error, make the part A, B,C or D as the case maybe.
Most of the victims has underwent first aid by the time the ambulance van reached the accident site.
A B C D
- A b) B c) C d) D
- For what you are here?
What are you here for? – CORRECTED
- I am a bit in a hurry
I am in a bit of a hurry – CORRECTED
- How to you think to learn the English?
What is your point on learning English? – CORRECTED
- Open the last but one page of the book.
Open the last page but one of the book – CORRECTED
- One of his family members is dead.
A member of his family is dead. – CORRECTED
Find out the odd words
In this section, you are asked to find out the odd word out.
Find out the odd word from the list given:
- Common b) Strange c) Usual d) Regular.
Answer: B. Because other options gives same meaning than B. So it is ODD.
Sometimes, we will be asked to find out adverb or verb or adjective, etc separately. Same like the above options. You need to tick the odd one out.
For more examples on this section, we strongly recommend you to check the books. If you find this article is useful, please re-visit us for next session. Also you can make subscription with us by giving your email address or just bookmark our page. Please stay tune with us for further details and other following updates on our TNPSC General English else, drop our valuable comments to ask your doubts. We are happy to clear your doubts. Thanks for reading!!! Happy Preparation!!!