Tnpsc english – identify the sentence, blending the words and form compound words
Dear TNPSC Aspirants!
We are glad to see your positive feedback regarding our TNPSC General English study material and still few more topics yet to cover. Now we are at the last session of TNPSC English Grammar segment. In this article, we are going to discuss about identify the sentence, blending the words and form compound words. If any doubts, please post your comment.
Identify the sentences
It is otherwise called as Transformation of sentence. There are 3 types of sentences such as Simple, Compound and Complex sentence.
What is Simple Sentence?
A Sentence which has only one subject and one verb or one main clause.
Ex: Rama is a good boy
Here you can see very well that, it is simple sentence with one main clause.
What is Complex Sentence?
It has one main clause and one or more sub-ordinate clause.
Ex: We went when the rain stopped.
Here, we went out is a main clause
When the rain stopped is a subordinate clause.
What is Compound Sentence?
It consists of two or more main clauses.
Ex: The sun rose and the fog disappeared.
Both underlined phrase are main clause with link word of “and” in mid.
Easy Identify: To know the concepts in easier way, go through below short couts.
Simple: It consists only one finite verb.
Inspite of, despite of, being and on account of, are used in simple sentence to identify it in easier way.
Complex: 1 MC + More No. Of Subordinate clause
Eventhough, although, since, unless, through are used in complex.
Compund: 2MC + Conjunction + 1MC
But, so, stil, yet & and etc are used in compound sentence.
- As priya was intelligent everyone praised her.
It is complex, because As Priya was intelligent is Subordinate clause and Everyone praised her is main clause.
- Every one praised Priya for her intelligence.
It is simple, because one finite verb is used.
- Priya was intelligent and Everyone praised her
It is compound, because 2main clause are there.
(i.e) Priya was intelligent is 1st MC
Everyone praised her is 2nd MC.
Also Conjunction “and” is used between 2 main clauses.
Is that easy to identify? Want to check more examples? Read further and answer by yourself.
- You must help me or I can do nothing
- On account of bundth today is a holiday.
- Being hungry, he became angry
- As soon as the lady heard the news she fainted.
- Spare the rod and spoil the child.
Questions from TNPSC Previous Papers
- Choose the complex sentence out of the 4 sentences given below?
- Failing prompt payment, the goods must be returned by you.
- He was a mere boy but he offered to fight the giant.
- He must have done his duty, for he is a conscientious man.
- He succeeded although his success was not expected.
You guys will get one or two questions from this segment.
Blending the Words
Blending two different words to form a new word. There are many words in this section; the newly formed word must also be meaningful. So try to browse and learn all possible blending words. In books, they will be few examples. It is all common and you all might known it. We have given few more example for your interest.
Example: News + Broadcast = Newscast
Here News is one meaningful word.
Broad is also another meaningful word. By blending both words, to form new word called “Newscast”.
- Clash = Clap + Crash
- Stagflation = Stagnation + inflation
- Cosmeceutical = Cosmetic + Pharmaceutical
- Staycation = Stayhome + Vacation
- Docudrama = Documentary + drama
- Faction = Fact + Fiction
- Emoticon = Emote + icon
- Workaholic = Work + alcoholic
- Telegenic = Television + Photogenic
- Textpectation = Text message + expectation
Choose the correct blending word for “ brunch”
- We will have brunch at Eleven o’clock.
- Bundle + lunch b) Lunch + Break c) Breakfast + Lunch d) Lunch + Break
This type of question will be asked in exam point of view. You will have one question from this section.
TNPSC GE Form compound word
What is compound word in general, it is nothing but formation of new word from combination of Noun, Verb, Adjective and Adverb, Etc.
The combinations of compound word formation in TNPSC General English are follows,
- Noun + Noun
- Adjective + Noun
- Verb + Noun
- Gerund + Noun
- Adverb + Noun
- Verb + Adverb
- Adverb + Verb
We have discussed about what is Adverb, adjective, Prounoun, Noun, Verb, Etc. If you don’t know those terms, you can’t find the proper compound word in this segment. So go through our previous article to get idea of all those terms.
Text Book examples are:
- Sun + Light = Sunlight ( Noun + Noun) is used
- Sweet + Heart = Sweet heart (Adjective + Noun) is used
- Dare + Devil = Daredevil ( Verb + Noun) is used
- Sewing + Machine = Sewing Machine ( Gerund + Noun)
- In + sight = Insight ( Adverb + Noun)
You will get one or two compulsory questions from this section.
- Cull out the word formed by combining adjective and verb from the following option
- School Boy b) Dry Clean c) Out run d) radio active
Here Dry is adjective and Clean is Verb.
- Which one of the following compound noun is wrong?
- Coat – of – mails b) Governors – General c) Runner – up d) Grown – ups
TNPSC GE Comprehension
A small paragraph will be given in this section which involves description of some particular theme. The questions will be asked from that paragraph itself. This section is to check your Analytical skills. That’s all for today. Your TNPSC GE Grammar discussion ends here.
If you find this article is useful, please re-visit us for next session. Also you can make subscription with us by giving your email address or just bookmark our page. Please stay tune with us for further details and other following updates on our TNPSC General English else, drop our valuable comments to ask your doubts. We are happy to clear your doubts. Thanks for reading!!! Happy Preparation!!!