The Next topic to focus is “Match the Poems with the poets”, “Author’s Nationality”, Match authors with their short stories and also know popular auto-biography. In thus section, you will be questioned from authors and their literary works.
TNPSC GE – Match Poems with Poets
From the above title, it is understood that, the candidates must match the poems with their poets and also you must match authors with their short stories. Before that, we have listed some poets with their respective poems.
Know Poets and their Poem
- A Psalm of Life – H.W.Longfellow
- Solitary Reaper – William wordsworth
- Sonnet No.116 – William Shakespeare
- The Apology – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Migrant Bird – Famida Y. Basheer
- A Tiger in the zoo – Leslie Norris
- Keep on keeping on – Hope spencer
- Going for water – Robert Frost
- Be the Best – Douglas Malloch
- Snake – D.H.Lawrence
- Match the Poems with the poets
- Earth 1) D.H.Lawrence
- Snake 2) H.W.Longfellow
- A Psalm of Life 3) Khalil Gibran
- Be glad your nose
Is on your face 4) Jack Prelutsky
- 2) 3) 4)
- 3 1 2 4
- 1 3 4 2
- 2 3 1 4
- 4 3 2 1
- Which of the following poem is written by David Roth?
- Be Glad your Nose is on your face
- Nine Gold Medals
- Is Life but a dream?
TNPSC GE Study Materials – Match the authors with their short stories
Short stories means the questions will be taken from supplementary section.
List of authors and their stories
- The Selfish Giant – Oscar Wilde
- Holiday – Rabindranath Tagore
- Two Friends – Guy de Maupassant
- A close Encounter – Rex Coker
- The Piano lesson – Rob Reilly
- Yaanai Malai – Manohar Devadoss
- Ranji’s wonderful bat – Ruskin Bond
- After the storm – Deepa Agarwal
- Every Living thing – James Herriot
- Open Window – Saki
- Match the following
- Two friends 1. Mr. Nuttel
- The Open Window 2. Colonel Dumoulin
- The Last Leaf 3. Ivan Dmitritch
- The Lottery Ticket 4. Behrman
- b) c) d)
- 2 3 4 1
- 2 1 4 3
- 2 1 3 4
- 2 3 1 4
- In which of the following does Ivan Dmitritch appear?
- The Selfish Giant b) The last Leaf c) The Lottery ticket d) The Open window.
- Identify the work which is not written by Oscar Wilde?
- The Selfish Giant b) The Happy Prince c) The Importance of being earnest d) Snake
Aspirants must be aware of all poet’s or author name, person and their nationality.
- Kalpana Chawla Born on?
Answer: 1st July 1961
- William Shakespeare’s period ?
Answer : 1564 – 1616
- Kalpana Chawla’s born place?
Answer: Karnal, Harayana
You will get 1 question from the section. So read all concepts carefully including their work and title.
- Walt Whitman – USA, Long Island
- H.W.Long Fellow – American Poet
- Thomas Hardy – British Poet
- Khalil Gibran – Lebanon
- Edgar Albert Guest – British American Poet
- What is the Nationality of Robert Frost?
- Many of Pearl S Buck’s books have _________background.
- What is the period of Walt Whitman?
- 1836-1907 b) 1819-1892 c) 1878-1967 d) 1770-1850
You may get 1 question from famous personality’s auto-biography. You will find few hints in Samacheer books. For this section, you need to browse from internet of all famous personalities whose chapters are as a part in samacheer books. We would like to give some auto biography here for your reference.
- Glimpse of World History – Jawaharlal Nehru
- The Short Story “ The Guide” – R.K. Narayanan.
- The Story of my life – Helen Keller
- ‘I Dare. It’s always possible’ – Kiran Bedi
- Wings of Fire – APJ Abdul Kalam
What is the Auto-Biography of Famous Cricket player “ Sachin Tendulkar”?
Guess the answer by yourself.
If you find this article is useful, please re-visit us for next session. Also you can make subscription with us by giving your email address or just bookmark our page. Please stay tune with us for further details and other following updates on our TNPSC General English else, drop our valuable comments to ask your doubts. We are happy to clear your doubts. Thanks for reading!!! Happy Preparation!!!