1. Who is the first recipient of Manohar Parrikar Yuva Scientist Award?
A. Dr Mathavaraj S 🗹
B. P Veeramuthu Vel
C. Ritu Karidhal
D. Kalpana Kalahasti
- Dr Mathavaraj S of the UR Rao Satellite Centre of ISRO has become the first recipient of Manohar Parrikar Yuva Scientist Award. The award comprises a cash prize of Rs 5 lakh, which is currently the highest cash prize in science and technology, and a citation. He designed the powered descent trajectory of Chandrayaan-3 mission. The award was instituted by the Goa government.
2. Which country hosted the ‘Voice of the Global South Summit’ recently?
B. India 🗹
- India recently hosted the second ‘Voice of the Global South Summit’ (VOGSS) in the virtual format. The first summit was held on 12-13 January 2023. The term ‘global South’ was first used by Carl Oglesky, a leftist American author and political activist in 1969.
3. Which is the Cambridge Dictionary’s Word of the Year for 2023?
A. Hallucinate 🗹
- The Cambridge Dictionary team chose hallucinate as its Word of the Year 2023 as it recognized that the new meaning gets to the heart of why people are talking about AI. The Cambridge Dictionary added new AI-related definitions to the dictionary, including large language model (or LLM), generative AI (or GenAI), and GPT.
4. As per a CDC-WHO Report, around 11 lakh children in India missed their first dose of the ____ vaccine?
B. Measles 🗹
- In 2022, an estimated 11 lakh children in India missed their vital first dose of the measles vaccine as said in CDC-WHO Report. India is among the 37 countries that witnessed large or disruptive outbreaks, reporting 40,967 measles cases in 2022, according to the report. This puts India among 10 countries with the highest number of children who did not receive the first shot.
5. ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter Mission is associated with which space agency?
B. ESA 🗹
- Scientists have detected a soft green glow in the night sky of Mars that can be seen with our human eyes. The European Space Agency’s (ESA) ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter mission while orbiting around Mars spotted the Martian night sky filled with light in the optical spectrum. As per the scientists, the light is so bright in the polar regions that there is a possibility of human explorers seeing it if the night sky is clear of clouds.
6. Who was appointed as the Director of the Special Protection Group (SPG)?
A. Alok Sharma 🗹
B. Pankaj Singh
C. R Hari Kumar
D. Manoj Pande
- Senior IPS officer Alok Sharma was appointed the director of the Special Protection Group (SPG), the elite security unit responsible for the security of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet approved the appointment of Alok Sharma, a 1991-batch IPS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre who is currently working as Additional Director General in the SPG.
7. Production Linked Incentive scheme (PLI) Scheme 2.0 For IT Hardware is related to which Union Ministry?
A. Ministry of Science and Technology
B. Ministry of Finance
C. Ministry of MSME
D. Ministry of Electronics and IT 🗹
- Union Cabinet had approved PLI Scheme 2.0 for IT hardware in May 2023. This scheme covers laptops, tablets, all-in-one PCs, Servers and Ultra Small Form Factor devices. Applications of 27 IT hardware manufacturers have been approved recently. IT hardware of well-known brands such as Acer, Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc will be manufactured in India.
8. Deep Space Optical Communications (DSOC) experiment is associated with which space agency?
A. NASA 🗹
- NASA’s Deep Space Optical Communications (DSOC) experiment has achieved a milestone by successfully transmitting data via laser to and from beyond the moon for the first time. The experiment, aboard the Psyche spacecraft, has set a new record for the farthest-ever demonstration of optical communications. This achievement paves the way for higher-data-rate communications that can support future missions, including sending humans to Mars.
9. ‘FOSCOS’ is the portal of which institution?
B. FSSAI 🗹
- Food safety regulator FSSAI has launched the Food Safety Compliance System (FOSCOS) portal in four regional languages, apart from Hindi and English, in order to enhance user experience and accessibility. The portal is now available in Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu and Marathi, apart from Hindi and English. The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) also plans to launch the portal in Kannada, Punjabi, Malayalam, Assamese, Bengali and Odia soon.
10. Which writer won the JCB Prize for Literature for his novel ‘Fire Bird’?
A. Arundhati Roy
B. Perumal Murugan 🗹
C. Salman Rushdie
D. Jeya Mohan
- Tamil writer Perumal Murugan has won the coveted JCB Prize for Literature for his novel, ‘Fire Bird’, an English translation of his Tamil novel ‘Aalandapatchi’. The JCB Literary Prize award carries Rs 25 lakh to the author and an additional Rs 10 lakh to the translator. The novel was translated into English by Janani Kannan.
11. Sheynnis Palacios, who was crowned Miss Universe for the year 2023, is from which country?
B. Nicaragua 🗹
- Nicaragua’s Sheynnis Palacios has been crowned Miss Universe for the year 2023, marking her country’s first win at the international beauty pageant. The 72nd edition of the Miss Universe pageant was held in El Salvador. Palacios is a 23- year-old mental health activist and audiovisual producer from Managua, Nicaragua.
13. Which state/UT received Geographical Indication tag for ‘Sea Buckthorn’?
B. Ladakh 🗹
- The Geographical Indication Registry, operating under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, has officially granted the GI tag to Ladakh for ‘Ladakh Sea Buckthorn’. Ladakh earlier received GI tag for Apricot (Raktsey Karpo), Pashmina, and Ladakhi Wood Carving. Sea Buckthorn, one of the most profitable crop of UT Ladakh having 90% production from Ladakh in India.
TNPSC Current Affairs
Winmeen: Install the Winmeen App – Daily Free & Premium Tnpsc Study Materials & Online Test
Winmeen: Winmeen Tnpsc Test Series – Samacheer lesson Wise Test + Previous Year Model Test for Tnpsc Group 1,2, 4 & VAO