1. Darlipali thermal power plant is located in which state?
D. Madhya Pradesh
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated NTPC Ltd’s Darlipali thermal power plant (1,600 MW), Rourkela PP-II expansion project (250 MW), and laid the foundation stone for Talcher 2×660 MW in Odisha, with a total investment of Rs 28,978 crore. Darlipali, a pit-head station, has supply agreements with multiple states. The Rourkela project supports the steel plant, while Talcher’s 660 MW will cater 50% to Odisha and the rest to Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, and Assam.
2. ‘Electricity 2024’ report is released by which organization?
A. International Energy Agency
B. International Development Association
C. Organization for Economic Development
D. World Bank
- The International Energy Agency’s “Electricity 2024” report on India’s energy future reveals key trends: persistent coal reliance, a surge in renewable energy (44% of total capacity), and nuclear power’s promising growth. Despite India’s net-zero target by 2070, coal is projected to meet 68% of electricity demand by 2026. Renewable generation stabilizes with 21% in 2023, and hydropower faces a 15% fall due to changing weather. India aims to triple nuclear capacity by 2032.
3. What is the total estimated expenditure in the Budget for FY 2024-25?
A. Rs 47.66 lakh crore
B. Rs 33.56 lakh crore
C. Rs 48.20 lakh crore
D. Rs 45.15 lakh crore
- The 2024-25 government budget is projected at Rs 47, 65,768 crore (47.66 lakh crore), indicating a 6% rise from the revised 2023-24 estimate. Anticipated growth includes a 3.2% increase in revenue expenditure and a significant 16.9% surge in capital expenditure, reflecting fiscal priorities and economic strategies for the upcoming year.
4. Recently, where was the ‘National Arogya Fair’ inaugurated?
A. Gandhi Nagar
B. New Delhi
- The National Arogya Fair, supported by the Ministry of Ayush, takes place at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi, from February 1 to February 4, 2024. Featuring India’s healing traditions, including Ayurveda, Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homeopathy, the event aims to showcase and promote holistic well-being.
- It includes workshops, seminars, exhibitions, free health consultations, and cultural programs, fostering collaboration and awareness. The objective is to highlight the benefits of Ayush systems, encouraging holistic health practices and providing a platform for businesses in the field.
5. What is the theme of ‘World Wetland Day’ 2024?
A. Wetlands and Human Wellbeing
B. Wetlands for a Sustainable Urban Future
C. Wetlands and Climate Change
D. Wetlands and Water
- The theme for World Wetlands Day 2024 is “Wetlands and Human Wellbeing”. The theme highlights how wetlands and human life are interconnected, and how people gain sustenance, inspiration, and resilience from wetlands. World Wetlands Day is celebrated on February 2nd each year. It’s an international day that promotes the sustainable management and conservation of wetlands.
6. Which one of the following best describes the term ‘Blue Economy 2.0’, seen in the budget 2024?
A. Sustainable development related to oceans, seas, and coasts
B. Providing New Agricultural Practice methods
C. Improving Urban Infrastructure
D. Renewable Energy Sources
- The Interim Budget prioritizes the advancement of ‘Blue Economy 2.0,’ concentrating on sustainable development concerning oceans, seas, and coasts. Key initiatives include schemes for coastal restoration, aquaculture, and mariculture, with an integrated approach.
- Plans encompass setting up five integrated aquaparks and enhancing the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana for increased productivity, exports, and job creation. The Blue Economy is defined by the World Bank as the sustainable use of ocean resources for economic growth and improved livelihoods, preserving ocean ecosystem health.
7. Wheat Blast is a disease of wheat crop, caused by which one of the following?
- Researchers modeling future wheat blast spread predict a 13% global wheat production reduction by 2050 due to the fast-acting fungal disease caused by Magnaporthe oryzae. Wheat blast affects various grasses, especially wheat, barley, lolium, and rice. It spreads through infected seeds and spores, thriving in warm, humid conditions. Resistant to fungicides, it induces bleaching, lower yields, and poor seed quality, leading to crop burning as a preventive measure.
8. What is the primary objective of ‘GHAR Portal’?
A. Monitor and track the restoration of historical monuments
B. Digitally track and monitor the restoration and repatriation of children
C. To offer healthcare services to children
D. To provide real time updates about upcoming disasters
- The GHAR (Go Home and Re-Unite) Portal, developed by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), facilitates the digital monitoring and repatriation of children under the Juvenile Justice Act. It expedites repatriation by tracking cases, transferring them to relevant authorities, and facilitating communication with State Governments for translators or experts. Child Welfare Committees use the portal’s checklist to identify children in need.
9. ‘INS Sandhayak’ is what kind of vessel?
A. Survey vessel ship
C. Naval Destroyer
D. Aircraft Carrier
- The Indian Navy commissioned its latest survey vessel, INS Sandhayak, in Vizag, the first in a series of four Survey Vessels (Large). Constructed at GRSE, Kolkata, its primary purpose is hydrographic surveys for port approaches and navigational routes.
- The vessel covers the Exclusive Economic Zone and continental shelf, gathering oceanographic data. With limited defence capabilities, it can serve as a hospital ship. Equipped with advanced tools, INS Sandhayak powered by two diesel engines.
10. What is the theme of World Cancer Day 2024?
A. Close the Care Gap
B. Not Beyond Us
C. Together let’s do something
D. We can I can
- World Cancer Day, observed on February 4th, highlights the global challenge of cancer, affecting millions with its diverse forms. The 2024 theme, “Close the Care Gap: Everyone Deserves Access To Cancer Care,” underscores the disparities in care, emphasizing accountability with the sub-theme “Together, we challenge those in power.”
11. What is Cygnus X-1?
B. Black hole
C. AI tool
- Astro Sat, India’s inaugural multi-wavelength astronomy mission, successfully measured the X-ray polarization of the Cygnus X-1 black hole system. Discovered four decades ago, Cygnus X-1 is among the first confirmed black hole systems in our galaxy. The black hole is 20 times the Sun’s mass. It is located 400 times farther than Earth-Sun distance.
12. Recently, who has taken charge as the Chief Hydrographer to the Government of India?
A. Adhir Arora
B. Karambir Singh
C. Lochan Singh Pathania
D. Sunil Lamba
- Vice Admiral Lochan Singh Pathania is the Chief Hydrographer of the Indian government. He joined the Indian Navy in 1990 in the Executive branch. He has commanded the ships Darshak and Sandhayak, and has carried out hydrographic surveys across India and the Indian Ocean Region.
13. Which institution launched North India’s first Human DNA Bank under ‘Make in India’ initiative?
A. Banaras Hindu University
B. IIT Kanpur
C. Delhi University
D. IIT Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University (BHU) inaugurates North India’s first human DNA bank, equipped with an Automated DNA Extractor Machine developed indigenously under the ‘Make in India’ initiative. It efficiently extracts DNA from various biological materials. The initiative stemmed from a three-day conference on Personalized Medicine held in March 2023.
14. Who has been selected as torchbearer for the 2024 Paris Olympics?
A. Saina Nehwal
B. Neeraj Chopra
C. Abhinav Bindra
D. P V Sindhu
- Abhinav Bindra, a former shooter and India’s first Olympic gold medalist, has been selected as a torchbearer for the 2024 Paris Olympics. Bindra is one of 11,000 torchbearers selected throughout France for the 2024 Olympics. The 2024 Olympic torch relay will start in France on May 8, 2024, with the flame arriving in Marseille before traveling across France for 68 days.
15. What is ‘Trichoglossum’?
A. Ancient Irrigation System
B. Anti ship missiles
C. A genus of fungus
- Researchers discovered a new fungus species, ‘Trichoglossum syamviswanathii’, in Kerala. Trichoglossum is a genus of fungus known as “hairy earth tongues” due to its filamentous structure. The fungus exhibits saprotrophic behavior and can be found in plant roots as endophytes. Predominantly distributed in tropical and temperate forests across five continents, these fungi play a crucial role in decomposing organic matter.
16. Kamakhya Divyalok Pariyojana is associated with which state?
- The Kamakhya Divyalok Pariyojana, a Rs 498 crore project by the central government, aims to transform the Kamakhya Temple pilgrimage experience in Guwahati, Assam. Enhancements include infrastructure upgrades, improved connectivity, temple beautification, and facilities for devotees. The initiative is expected to boost tourism in the Northeast. The temple, with Tantric significance, is atop Nilachal Hill and hosts the annual Ambubachi Mela.
17. Where was the 7th session of the CODEX Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH) held?
- The 7th session of the Codex Committee on Spices and Culinary Herbs (CCSCH) took place in Kochi from January.29 to Feb.02, 2024. Established in 2013 under the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC), India has consistently hosted the committee, with the Spices Board India serving as the organizing secretariat. In this session, quality standards for small cardamom, turmeric, juniper berry, allspice, and star anise were finalized.
- The Codex Alimentarius Commission, jointly established by FAO and WHO, is an international body with 189 member countries, meeting annually in Geneva and Rome.
18. What is the primary focus of the Gamma Ray Astronomy PeV EnergieS phase-3 (GRAPES-3) project?
A. To study cosmic rays
B. To study exoplanet
C. Investigating dark matter
D. Measuring Earth’s natural resources
- The GRAPES-3 experiment, situated in Ooty, India and operated by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, made a significant discovery in the cosmic-ray proton spectrum, revealing a new feature at 166 TeV. Equipped with air shower detectors and a large muon detector, GRAPES-3 aims to investigate the origin, acceleration, and propagation of cosmic rays, including the existence of the “Knee” in their energy spectrum. It also explores the production of highest-energy cosmic rays, astronomy of multi-TeV γ-rays, and the impact of the Sun on Earth.
19. Which state cabinet approved the Uniform Civil Code (UCC) report?
B. Uttar Pradesh
D. Himachal Pradesh
- Uttarakhand’s Cabinet, under Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, has approved the Uniform Civil Code (UCC) bill—a historic decision. Based on committee recommendations, the bill aims to standardize civil laws, transcending religious affiliations. The proposed measures include banning polygamy and child marriage, establishing a common marriageable age, and enforcing uniform grounds and procedures for divorce, promoting legal standardization.
20. Recently, which country has become the first European country to accept Unified Payment Interface (UPI) payment system?
- The formal launch of India’s Unified Payment Interface (UPI) occurred during Republic Day celebrations in Paris, with French President Emmanuel Macron present. The Indian Embassy introduced UPI at the Eiffel Tower, marking its global expansion. Developed by the National Payments Corporation of India in 2016, UPI consolidates multiple bank accounts into a single mobile application, offering a convenient system for managing diverse accounts on one platform.
21. Where will the ‘Exercise Vayu Shakti 24’ be held?
- The Indian Air Force will be conducting Exercise Vayu Shakti-24 on 17 February 2024 at the Pokhran Air to Ground Range, near Jaisalmer. The last edition of exercise Vayu Shakti was held on 16 February 2019. The exercise will also showcase joint operations with the Indian Army.
- This year, the exercise will see participation by 121 aircraft, including the indigenous Tejas, Prachand and Dhruv. Other participating aircraft would include the Rafale, Sukhoi-30 MKI, Jaguar, Hawk, C-130J, Chinook, Apache and Mi-17. Exercise Vayu Shakti will be a demonstration of the IAF’s capability to deliver weapons with long range, precision capability as well as conventional weapon accurately, on time and with devastating effect, while operating from multiple air bases.
22. Recently, which state won the Nagesh Trophy in the Men’s National T20 Cricket for the Blind?
- Karnataka secured the Nagesh Trophy in the Men’s National T20 Cricket Tournament for the Blind 2023-24, triumphing over Andhra Pradesh by nine wickets in a thrilling final in Nagpur. The win ended Karnataka’s 20-year national title drought, highlighting the remarkable talent, resilience, and determination of visually impaired cricketers.
23. What is the theme of International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female FGM 2024?
A. Unleashing Youth Power
B. Achieving the new Global Goals through eliminating FGM
C. Her Voice, Her Future
D. Unite, Fund and Act
- The theme for the 2024 International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is “Her Voice, Her Future”. The theme highlights the important role of community-led initiatives in achieving lasting change. The International Day of Zero Tolerance for FGM is an annual awareness day sponsored by the United Nations that takes place on February 6 as part of the UN’s efforts to eradicate FGM. It was first introduced in 2003.
24. Lantana Camara (Lantana) is belongs to which one of the following species?
A. Flowering plant
- Sculptures made from the invasive lantana camara plant recently gained attention at a Bengaluru exhibition. Native to the American tropics, it was introduced to India during the colonial period. Despite its adaptability to climate changes, lantana camara is among the world’s top ten invasive species, causing significant concern in India. The Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve in the Western Ghats is heavily impacted by its invasion, making it one of the largest affected areas.
25. Who has been appointed as the first woman Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court?
A. Ritu Bahri
B. Hima Kohli
C. Indira Banerjee
D. Ruma Pal
- Justice Ritu Bahri becoming the first woman Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court, taking the oath administered by Governor Lieutenant General Gurmeet Singh. Previously a senior judge in Punjab and Haryana High Court, Bahri’s appointment marks a milestone for Uttarakhand. Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami, Tourism Minister Satpal Maharaj, Higher Education Minister Dhan Singh Rawat, and Chief Secretary Radha Raturi were present at the swearing-in ceremony.