Road Safety Notes 9th Social Science
9th Social Science Lesson 16 Notes in English
16. Road Safety
- Road accident refers to any accident involving at least a vehicle, occurring on a road open to public transport, and in which at least one person is injured or killed.
- Intentional acts (murder, suicide) and natural disasters are excluded from road accidents.
- Road accidents are the leading cause of death by injury and the tenth-leading cause of all deaths globally.
- An estimated 1.2 million people are killed in road crashes each year, and as many as 50 million people are injured.
How different factors contribute to road accidents:
Over-speeding, rash driving, violation of rules, failure to understand signs, fatigue, alcohol
Carelessness, illiteracy, crossing at wrong places, jaywalkers
Projecting their body parts outside vehicles, talking to drivers, alighting and boarding vehicles from the wrong side, travelling on footboards, catching a running bus etc.
Failure of brakes or steering, tyre burst, insufficient headlights, overloading Road Conditions: Potholes, damaged roads, eroded roads merging of rural roads with highways and illegal speed breakers
Fog, snow, heavy rainfall, wind storms, hail storms.
Direct Consequences of Accidents:
1. Fatality (Death)
3. Damage to Property
Preventive measures for accidents:
1. Education and awareness about road safety
2. Strict enforcement of law
3. Engineering: (a) Vehicle design (b) Road infrastructure
Rules to Ensure Road Safety for children
It is important for children to know about road safety rules and regulations. Here are a few basic road safety rules for children:
1. Know Your Signals
2. Stop, Look and Cross
3. Pay Attention – Listen 4. Don’t Run On Roads
5. Always Use Sidewalks
6. Never Stick Hands outside the Vehicle
7. Never Cross Road at Bends
8. Don’t Rush.
More to Know:
1. With over 1,30,000 deaths annually India has the worst road accident rate worldwide.
2. The chances of death by accident can be decreased by 51% with the proper use of seat belt.
3. Every three minutes a child is killed in an accident in the world. The main causes of death by road accidents include
1. Drunk and drive (40%), speeding (24%), car boom in India (16%), inefficient law enforcement (15%) and less use of helmets and seat belts (5%)
2. Distractions to Driver
3. Red Light Jumping
4. Overtaking in a wrong manner