1. As per WHOs 2023 Global TB report, which country accounted for the highest number of tuberculosis (TB) cases in the world in 2022?
B. India 🗹
- India accounted for the highest number of tuberculosis (TB) cases in the world in 2022, representing a staggering 27 percent of the global burden, as revealed by the new World Health Organization (WHO) 2023 Global TB report released. According to the report, India recorded 2.8 million (28.2 lakh) TB cases in 2022, with a case fatality ratio of 12 per cent. Featuring data from 192 countries and areas, the report reveals that 7.5 million people were diagnosed with TB in 2022.
2. ‘The State of Food and Agriculture (SOFA)’ is the flagship report of which institution?
A. World Bank 🗹
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) released its flagship report, the State of Food and Agriculture (SOFA). Although current agrifood systems provide nourishment and sustain economies, they also impose huge hidden costs on health and the environment – the equivalent of at least $10 trillion annually. The figure represents nearly 10 per cent of global Gross Domestic Product (GDP), according to the 2023 edition of the report which covers 154 countries.
3. Which institution releases the ‘Production Gap report’?
A. UNEP 🗹
- The United Nations Environment Programme’s (UNEP) Production Gap report has been released in anticipation of the COP28 climate conference. It warns that global fossil fuel production over the next seven years is projected to exceed more than double the levels required to stay within the climate goals outlined in the 2015 Paris climate agreement, including the crucial target of limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
4. What is the name of the brand recently launched by National Cooperative Organics Limited (NCOL)?
A. Namo Organics
B. Bharat Organics 🗹
C. India Fresh
D. Swadeshi Organics
- Cooperation Minister Amit Shah launched the ‘Bharat Organics’ brand of the newly launched National Cooperative Organics Ltd (NCOL). It will have as many as 20 products in the market by December 2023. NCOL will pass on 50 per cent of its profit earned over the Minimum Support Price (MSP) of any crop directly into the bank account of the farmers, while the rest will be used for the growth of the organization.
5. World Local Production Forum is an initiative of which institution?
C. World Bank
D. WHO 🗹
- An Indian delegation is in the Netherlands to participate in the second World Local Production Forum (WLPF) meeting. WLPF is a platform created at the initiative of WHO, to increase access to medicines and other health technologies. India and Netherlands sign a Memorandum of Intent to cooperate on medical product regulation, and enhancing the quality of medical products.
6. As per World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) study, which country has the highest rise in patent filing by resident applicants in 2022?
B. India 🗹
- India’s patent applications by resident applicants jump by 31.6% in 2022 as compared with the previous year, as per the latest study released recently by the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO). This rise is the highest of any country in 2022. With 55,718 resident patent applications in 2022, India’s numbers grew faster than other competing countries that include Switzerland (6.1 per cent), China (3.1), and Austria and the UK (both at 2.5 per cent).
7. Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) is associated with which country?
C. India 🗹
- The International Energy Agency (IEA), based in Paris, has emphasized in its World Energy Outlook 2023 report that India’s Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) of 2017, specifically aimed at commercial buildings, distinguishes it from other developing economies, where energy efficiency in building infrastructure lags behind. The ECBC was introduced by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), a part of the Ministry of Power, in 2007, with a subsequent update in 2017. Presently, 23 states in India have implemented regulations to enforce compliance with the ECBC.
8. What is the name given to the emissions, which occur when fossil fuels are burned, and resulting emissions are released into atmosphere?
A. True Emissions
B. Unabated Emissions 🗹
C. Original Emissions
D. Unfiltered Emissions
- As nations convene for the COP28 climate summit scheduled for late November in Dubai, their objective of expediting the transition away from fossil fuels is likely to bring about discussions centering around an ill-defined term: “unabated”. “Unabated” emissions occur when fossil fuels are burned, and the resulting emissions are released into the atmosphere, contributing to the ongoing acceleration of global warming.
9. As per WHO-ILO report, nearly 1 in 3 deaths from non-melanoma skin cancer is caused by which factor?
A. Using mobile phones
B. Working Under Sun 🗹
D. Consuming Alcohol
- Nearly 1 in 3 deaths from non-melanoma skin cancer is caused by working under the sun, according to joint estimates by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Labour Organization (ILO). The research calls for action to prevent this serious workplace hazard and the loss of workers’ lives it causes. According to the estimates, in 2019 alone, almost 19 000 people in 183 countries died from non-melanoma skin cancer due to having worked outdoors in the sun. The majority (65%) were male.
10. Pusa-44, which was seen in the news, belongs to which crop variety?
C. Rice 🗹
- The Supreme Court directed the Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan governments to ensure that the burning of crop stubble be stopped forthwith. It also mentioned that a particular kind of paddy grown mostly in Punjab was seen as major causes of stubble burning and the resultant pollution problems in the National Capital Region. Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann had earlier said Pusa-44 variety would be banned from next year.
11. Which term refers to warming of ocean surface in the central and eastern tropical Pacific Ocean?
A. El Nino 🗹
B. La Nina
C. Continental pattern
D. Monsoon pattern
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) announced that the current El Niño weather pattern will persist until at least April 2024. This extended duration is contributing to rising temperatures in a year that is already on course to become the hottest on record. According to the WMO, there is a 90% probability that this naturally-occurring phenomenon will endure throughout the northern hemisphere winter.
12. Astronomers successfully identified distinct indications of atomic oxygen in which celestial body?
B. Venus 🗹
- Astronomers, following thorough examination of Venus’s atmosphere, have successfully identified distinct indications of atomic oxygen within the planet’s daylight region, located above its noxious cloud cover. This discovery of oxygen on the dayside provides valuable insights into the intricate dynamics and circulation patterns within Venus’s atmosphere.
TNPSC Current Affairs
Winmeen: Install the Winmeen App – Daily Free & Premium Tnpsc Study Materials & Online Test
Winmeen: Winmeen Tnpsc Test Series – Samacheer lesson Wise Test + Previous Year Model Test for Tnpsc Group 1,2, 4 & VAO