1. Which country is the host of World Telecommunication Standardisation Assembly (WTSA) 2024?
A. India 🗹
D. Saudi Arabia
- India is going to host the World Telecommunication Standardisation Assembly (WTSA) next year, said Union Communication & IT Minister, Ashwini Vaishnaw. Held every four years, the World Telecommunication Standardisation Assembly (WTSA) is the governing conference of the ITU Standardisation Sector (ITU-T), one of the three world conferences of the International Telecommunication Union and as such, the United Nations system.
2. Saima Wazed, the next Regional Director for the World Health Organization’s South-East Asia region, is from which country?
B. Bangladesh 🗹
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s daughter, Saima Wazed, was nominated as the next Regional Director for the World Health Organization’s South-East Asia region. Saima Wazed defeats Shambu Acharya, a public health veteran from Nepal, in a vote held during the 76th session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia Region.
3. When is the ‘International Day for Biosphere Reserves’?
A. November 1
B. November 3 🗹
C. November 5
D. November 7
- In the year 2022 at the 41st Session of UNESCO’s general Conference, it was decided that November 3 would be celebrated worldwide as the International Day for Biosphere Reserves. Biosphere Reserves are protected areas, meant for the conservation of plants and animals. Human beings also depend on these protected areas for their livelihood activities. There are 738 biosphere reserves in 134 countries and there are 18 notified biosphere reserves in India.
4. Which country is funding India’s ‘Hunger Project’ and promote food security in Uttarakhand?
D. Norway 🗹
- Norway will help fund India’s ‘Hunger Project’ and help strengthen women leaders to protect the environment and promote food security in Uttarakhand. The duration of the project would be three years, until September 2026 with a budget of 44.7 million. The project organizes capacity-building training for elected women representatives and federations, focusing on strengthening van panchayats (forest councils).
5. Which Indian state bagged the Global Responsible Tourism Award 2023?
B. Kerala 🗹
- Kerala bagged the prestigious Global Responsible Tourism Award 2023, for its sustainable and women-inclusive initiatives successfully promoted by the state’s Responsible Tourism Mission. The Global Responsible Tourism Awards, which cater to Africa, India and Latin America regions, were given in six categories including Tackling Plastic Waste; Meaningful Connections; Local Sourcing – Craft and Food; Addressing Climate Change; Diversity and Inclusion and Nature-Positive Tourism.
6. Which is the first foreign company that has bagged 100% FDI in India’s defence projects?
B. Lockheed Martin
C. Saab 🗹
D. General Dynamics
- Sweden’s Saab has become the first foreign company that has bagged 100% FDI in India’s defence projects. According to a report, Sweden’s Saab will set up a new facility in the country that will manufacture shoulder-fired rockets. Currently, India allows only 74% FDI in the defence sector under the automatic route. Beyond that, clearance can be obtained on a case-by-case basis.
7. Cnemaspis rashidi is the name of which new species discovered in the Western Ghats recently?
C. Gecko 🗹
- A new species of gecko has been discovered in the Western Ghats near Rajapalayam in Viridhunagar district of Tamil Nadu. Senior scientist Amit Sayyed of Wildlife Protection and Research Society, Maharashtra, who led a team of researchers from different parts of the country, has named the previously undocumented species as Cnemaspis rashidi after his father, Prof. Rashid Sayyed.
8. Which country is associated with ‘Arrow missile defense system’?
A. Israel 🗹
- Israel’s Arrow missile defense system has intercepted a ballistic missile launched by Iranian proxies in Yemen, marking a significant achievement in missile defense technology. Developed in collaboration with the US and Israel, the system demonstrated its capability to defend against a range of ballistic missiles.
9. As of 2023, which country is the world’s largest supplier of rare earths?
C. China 🗹
- China, the world’s largest supplier of rare earths, has been promoting the development of the rare earths industry for over 60 years. China has raised its rare-earth metal production quota for 2023 by 14% over last year to 240,000 tonnes. It aims to support its booming electric vehicle (EV) industry. China has the world’s largest reserves of rare earths.
10. ‘M-Kavach 2’ is a bot removal tool developed by which institution?
B. C-DAC 🗹
- The name of C-DAC, Hyderabad developed Android devices bot removal tool is ‘M-Kavach 2’. The name of e-Scan developed bot removal tool for Android devices is ‘eScan CERT-In Bot Removal’. Bots are automated software programs that are designed to perform repetitive tasks automatically. They can be used for various purposes, such as spamming, data scraping, or performing malicious activities.
11. What is the FY24 budget outlay for Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS)?
A. 40,000 crore
B. 60,000 crore 🗹
C. 80,000 crore
D. 90,000 crore
- The Finance Ministry released 10,000 crore in urgent assistance for the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS). The funds were released to meet unexpected increased expenditure under the rural job guarantee scheme. The funds will be available until the first batch of supplementary demands for grants is approved by parliament at its next session. The unusual move came after 95% of the FY24 budgetary outlay of 60,000 crore for the MGNREGS was exhausted well before the commencement of the winter session of parliament.
12. Which country won the Sultan of Johar Cup title in 2023?
C. Germany 🗹
- Germany lifted their second Sultan of Johar Cup trophy after 11 years by beating Australia 3-1. Goalkeeper HS Mohith made a crucial save in the penalty shootout as the Indian junior hockey team edged arch-rival Pakistan 6-5 to bag the bronze medal at the Sultan of Johar Cup.
13. Who has been sworn in as the Chief Information Commissioner of India?
A. Praveen Kumar Srivastava
B. Heeralal Samariya 🗹
C. Nitin Agarwal
D. R Hari Kumar
- Information Commissioner Heeralal Samariya was sworn in as the Chief Information Commissioner. President Droupadi Murmu administered the oath of office to him at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Heeralal Samariya was currently serving as the Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
14. Which institution inaugurated its Zanzibar (Africa) campus in Tanzania?
A. IISc Bengaluru
B. IIT Madras 🗹
C. IIT Bombay
- IIT Madras (IIT-M) formally inaugurated its Zanzibar (Africa) campus. Zanzibar is an island. off the Eastern coast of Africa and belongs to Tanzania. The island has been a key port in the trading routes between the West and the East for centuries. Preeti Aghalayam is the Dean of the School of Engineering and Science and Director-in-charge, Zanzibar Campus, IIT Madras.
TNPSC Current Affairs
Winmeen: Install the Winmeen App – Daily Free & Premium Tnpsc Study Materials & Online Test
Winmeen: Winmeen Tnpsc Test Series – Samacheer lesson Wise Test + Previous Year Model Test for Tnpsc Group 1,2, 4 & VAO